Narmer Palette, or Great Hierakonpolis Palette,
is a significant Egyptian archeological find,
dating from about 3200 BC, containing some of
the earliest hieroglyphic inscriptions ever found,
and depicting the unification of Upper and Lower
Egypt under Narmer who is not mentioned by Manetho
nor in the Turin King List or the Palermo stone.
The palette, which survived intact, was discovered by British archeologist
James E. Quibell in 1898 while he was excavating royal residences
in Nekhen, (present-day Hierakonpolis) which was the ancient,
pre-dynastic capital of Upper Egypt.
It is a large (ca. 64 cm), shield-shaped, ceremonial palette,
carved from a single piece of soft green slate. Both sides
are decorated. At the top is a serekh with the symbols
nar (catfish) and mr (chisel) inside, being the phonetic
representation of Narmer's name. Pictures depict Narmer
wearing the white crown of Upper Egypt and the red crown
of Lower Egypt and vanquishing his enemies, thus symbolizing
the unification of the "Two Lands".
The Narmer Palette resides in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.