The museum includes the private collection of
Silks and embroidered Arab costumes.
The museum consists of two houses built using the outer wall of the Mosque of Ibn Tulun as support.
The larger house, located to the east (the outermost side in relation to the mosque) was built in 1632 (1041 AH) by Hajj Mohammad ibn al-Hajj Salem ibn Galman al-Gazzar.
It later came into the possession of a wealthy Muslim woman from Crete, and the home became popularly known as Beit al-Kritliyya, or "House of the Cretan Woman".
The construction of private homes against the outer wall of a mosque was common practice, with access to both the homes and mosque via narrow streets.
It was reported that in the early 20th century, the mosque of Ibn Tulun could not be seen from the outside due to the houses.
In 1928 the Egyptian government began to clear the homes, many of which were in very poor condition, away from the mosque as part of a plan to make important Islamic monuments more accessible.
The Committee for the Conservation of Arab Monuments objected to the demolition of Beit al-Kritliyya, however, on the grounds that the home was extraordinarily well preserved.
The home was kept intact, and repairs were made to the side walls to strengthen them after the neighboring houses were torn down.