Fishermen museum consists of
The Museum is the former Fishermen s Church of St Nicholas.
It was built in 1854 on the beach at the heart of the fishing industry because fishermen rarely attended the two nearby parish churches of All Saints and St Clements.
They were seen as local aborigines in a state of great mental darkness.
The new church was built of Kentish rag stone, with a pulpit and communion table at the east end, and seating for 290 people.
Although initially opposed by the local community, by the 1880s this mission church to the fishermen had become popular, and remained so until the Second World War.
It was then requisitioned by the military and used as a store.
After the war, Hastings Council would only offer it on a one-year lease, which made it uneconomic to restore the damaged building as a church.
It was therefore used as a store by traders until the early 1950s.
The Fishermen Church was a chapel of ease and was never formally consecrated, but it is still used today for religious events, including baptisms, harvest festivals and carol concerts.
The Hastings Fishermens Museum is one of the biggest attractions in Hastings.