Pachia Ammos village
Year of Research
- It lies on a small hill which is few hundred meters from the sea in the Gulf of Mirabello.It is close to the north end of the Ierapetra isthmus.
- The ancient name of which is not known is the most characteristic of the excavated medium-size settlements which is dated to the period of the peak of the Minoan culture.
- Because of the good state of preservation,it is called Pompeii of Minoan Crete.It occupies a low hill, near to the sea, at the Isthmus of Hierapetra.
- In the Early Minoan III period 2300 BC,the first inhabitants settled here.Remains of the Middle Minoan period 2000-1600 B.C. are also protected;the palace was erected in c. 1600 B.C.but in 1450 B.C.,it was destroyed along with the surrounding town at the same time with all the other palatial centres of Crete.
- After Fifty years the place was partly reoccupied and was finally abandoned in around 1200 B.C.