In South District of Israel, Ashkelon is the coastal city present in it.
At the Bronze Age, the ancient seaport of Ashkelon was developed .
According to the history, it was ruled by the Canaanites, the Philistines, the Babylonians, the Phoenicians, the Romans, the Muslims and the Crusaders. In the late 13th century, the Mamluks destroyed it..
It was destroyed by the Mamluks in the late 13th century.
In the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, the Arab village of Majdal in the Ashkelon region was the forward position of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force based in Gaza.In the oldest layers are shaft graves of pre-Phoenician Canaanites.
The city was originally built on a sandstone outcropping and has a good underground water supply. It was relatively large as an ancient city with as many as 15,000 people living inside walls a mile and a half 2.4 km long, 50 feet 15 m high and 150 feet 50 m thick.
Ashkelon was a thriving Middle Bronze Age 2000 to 1550 BC city of more than 150 acres 607,000 mē, with commanding ramparts including the oldest arched city gate in the world, eight feet wide, and even as a ruin still standing two stories high.
The thickness of the walls was so great that the mudbrick Bronze Age gate had a stone-lined tunnel like barrel vault, coated with white plaster, to support the superstructure: it is the oldest such vault ever found.