Kom el-Hammam - Egypt
Kom el-Hammam is located in Philadelphia,Faiyum.
Kom el-Hammam monument was established on 1900.
Primary threats to Kom el-Hammam :
The Greece-Roman town of Philadelphia was situated on the eastern edge of the Faiyum’s cultivated land and like the nome it was dedicated to Arsinoe, the sister of Ptolemy II, Philadelphus, who founded the community.
Historical facts of Kom el-Hammam :
Kom el-Hammam is about 40km to the north-east of Medinet el-Faiyum and is the site of the ancient garrison town of Philadelphia. It is also known by the name of el-Roda and Kom el-Kharaba el-Kebir, the ‘Great Hill of Ruins’. It is known to archaeologists as a ‘model town’ set up by Apollonius, a minister of the Pharaoh. The site was excavated in the early 1900s and although now covered by the desert, extensive remains can still be seen beneath the sand. Evidence of a once important town site is represented by the large quantities of pottery sherds scattered over the area. The remains of Seila today are only 7m high and only the lower levels can be seen, with parts of these buried in rubble. The pyramid was first investigated by Borchardt at the beginning of the 20th century but at the time the owner’s name was not discovered. In the 1980s the pyramid was re-investigated by Brigham Young University with Nabil Swelim, an Egyptian archaeologist, and remains of builder’s marks and inscriptions were found on some of the blocks.