Dog on the Tuckerbox
Dog on the Tuckerbox - Australia
Dog on the Tuckerbox is located in Snake Gully, Gundagai.
Dog on the Tuckerbox monument was established on 1932.
Primary threats to Dog on the Tuckerbox :
It was sculpted by local stonemason Frank Rusconi and was unveiled by the then Prime Minister of Australia Joseph Lyons on 28 November 1932 as a tribute to pioneers.
Historical facts of Dog on the Tuckerbox :
The Dog on the Tucker box is an Australian historical monument and tourist attraction, located at Snake Gully, five miles (8 km) from Gundagai, New South Wales. A dog monument had been first erected at a site nine miles from Gundagai in 1926.The Dog on the Tucker box monument was erected as part of 'Back to Gundagai' Week in 1932 and a large crowd "gathered to her again" to witness the unveiling by the Prime Minister. It was planned to donate money placed in the wishing well at the base of the monument to the Gundagai District Hospital. A souvenir shop was also opened nearby. The Back to Gundagai Committee had chosen the Five Mile camping site rather than the Nine Mile Peg as a location for the monument on the basis that it was more convenient to the Hume Highway and closer to the town, thereby more beneficial to tourism. A nationwide competition was held to obtain the most suitable inscription for the monument. The chosen inscription on the base of the monument was written by Brian Fitzpatrick of Sydney.