Museum of Antioquia
Museum type :
Archaeological Museum

Established in :
1881

Holidays :
None

Visiting Hours :
Daily 9:30-5pm (10-4 Sundays)

Contact No :
(574) 251 3636

Location :
Medellin, Colombia , Colombia

Display Objects :

The collection also contained pre-Columbian pieces, rocks, minerals, and coins. The library had thousands of volumes related to history, art and science, and a compilation of the first newspapers in the country.




Description :

  • It was the first museum established in the department of Antioquia and the second in Colombia.

  • The museum is located in the center of Medellin on the Plaza Botero near the Parque Berrio metro station.

  • In 1881, a group, including Manuel Uribe Angel, Antonio Jose Restrepo and Martin Gomez, established the Zea Museum in honor of Francisco Antonio Zea at the Library of the Sovereign State of Antioquia.

  • The first collection contained books and historical and artistic artifacts of its founders.

  • Uribe Angel donated his collection with the condition that he be the first director of the Museum.

  • There was also a library as part of the museum.

  • The library had thousands of volumes related to history, art and science, and a compilation of the first newspapers in the country.

  • In 1886, the Constitution was reformed and the status of Antioquia as a sovereign state changed to the status it has today as a Department.

  • As a result, entities such as the museum had to depend on the central government and with the Governors.

  • In 1977, the museum changed its name to the Francisco Antonio Zea Museum of Art of Medellin.

  • The name was changed to avoid confusion: tourists did not understand the significance of Zea and the locals confused the museum with the Cera (wax) museum.