The Great Assuan Dam
Year of Research
- Situated at the first waterfall on the Nile, modern Aswan is a small town on the east bank which faces the desert on the west bank.
- It is in what was called Nubia, and is the southernmost town of result in Egypt. It is a favorite tourist destination because of its nearness to numerous sites of interest.
- The island of Elephantine has proof of civilizations existing before the dynasties of ancient Egypt, and apparently housed a Jewish community as well.
- The Temple of Isis and Kiosk of Trajan on Philae Island, like the structures at Abu Simbel, were deconstructed and rebuilt on New Philae (Agilkia) Island during the 1960ís.
- The area is also the site of massive granite quarries, which provided