, Heritage sites, Archaeological discoveries, History of Archaeology
Sri Pada glorious shadow
Year of Research
50 long years
- The annual pilgrims\' development to Sri Pada, the holiest of the sacred hills has already begun.
- Apart from the sanctity of this revered peak, its fascination lies in the beautiful shadow it casts at Sri Padasunrise.
- Among them is one by Major Skinner who spent 50 long years here as a expert and proficient road engineer.
- Major Skinner pitched his frail talipot camp tent atop the holy peak to take engineering surveys.
- His leafy camp comprised a camp bed, a rolling chair and a table.
- This maiden engineering survey atop theking of the first map of Ceylon, as Sri Lanka was then called.