Wellington Monument - United Kingdom
Wellington Monument is located in Wellington, Somerset.
Wellington Monument monument was established on 1817.
Primary threats to Wellington Monument :
The foundation stone was laid in 1817, on land belonging to the Duke, but the monument was not completed until 1854.
Historical facts of Wellington Monument :
The Wellington Monument is a 175 feet (53 m) high triangular tower located on the highest point of the Blackdown Hills, 3km south of Wellington, Somerset.The foundation stone was laid in 1817, on land belonging to the Duke, but the monument was not completed until 1854. Its design was inspired by an Egyptian obelisk, but in the shape of the type of bayonet used by Wellington's armies.It is 80 feet wide at the base. A counterweight hangs inside to help balance the Monument in windy weather. An internal staircase ascends to a viewing platform.It is now owned by the National Trust, and is floodlit at night. Originally four cannons surrounded the Monument, but these were removed during the Second World War (1939-1945) and used for scrap to help the war effort. In 1985 the Wellington Rotary Club donated the cannon currently standing at the base of the Monument. The viewing platform is currently (2007) closed due to safety concerns.