Berlin Victory Column
Berlin Victory Column - Germany
Berlin Victory Column is located in Berlin.
Berlin Victory Column monument was established on 1873.
Primary threats to Berlin Victory Column :
Designed by Heinrich Strack after 1864 to commemorate the Prussian victory in the Danish-Prussian War, by the time it was inaugurated on 2 September 1873.
Historical facts of Berlin Victory Column :
Built on a base of polished red granite, the column sits on a hall of pillars with a glass mosaic designed by Anton von Werner. The column itself consists of four solid blocks of sandstone, three of which are decorated by cannon barrels captured from the enemies of the aforementioned three wars. The fourth ring is decorated with golden garlands and was added in 1938–39 when the column was moved to its present location. The relief decoration had to be removed at the request of the French forces in 1945, probably to prevent Germans from being reminded of former victories, especially the defeat of the French in 1871. It was restored for the 750th anniversary of Berlin in 1987 by the French president at that time, Francois Mitterrand. However, several sections remain in France.